Should Guns be Allowed On Campus?
Hey Tumblr world, we’d like to know your opinion on this!
This is a great article talking about gun rights on campus. Meanwhile though, we’d love to get your guys’ opinions on the matter: should people be allowed to carry guns on campus? We’ve got a few pros:
- In a situation like Virginia Tech or the movie theater shooting in Aurora, people innocent, sane people would also have a weapon to turn to in order to protect themselves and take down the crazy person with a gun.
- As the article mentions, there’s a difference between feeling safe and being safe. Many feel that if people were allowed to carry guns the environment would be safer overall.
- College freshmen are the same age as high school seniors. Would you feel comfortable giving someone with the maturity level of a high school senior access to their own gun?
- There is a lot of drinking and drug use that typically happens on college campuses. We’re not saying everyone does it, but we’re definitely saying it happens more than it should. We don’t know about you but we don’t quite feel comfortable with a dorm party going on across the hall where alcohol and guns are both in the same room.
- Suicides are rampant during college years. Many students feel completely lost during this time in their life. Combine that with the feeling of failing a class and breaking up with your high school sweetheart, then throw a gun in the mix; would the suicide rate increase with better access to more lethal tools?
Of course these are just a few things we thought of off the top of our heads, so we’re looking for input! What do you guys think? Reply with your opinion, or if it’s too long for the answer box shoot us a message.
So go for it: do you think concealed guns should be allowed on campus?
Let’s play a little game today, shall we?
Imagine, if you will, that you are at a house party. Maybe a birthday party, an all night Lord of the Rings marathon, a Halloween party, or, well, a ”I finished all my homework for the week” party. We all know full and well that college students really don’t need a reason to have a party. Just the fact it’s a Wednesday is really enough reason to make some confetti and rearrange the furniture.
At this party, is So-and-So. We’ll call him Bob. Bob isn’t really fitting in at this party. Maybe he drank a little before he came over and is a little more buzzed than you can handle. Maybe he’s completely sober but likes to argue with every person he talks to (you know that guy). Maybe he just broke up with his girlfriend or something and he’s just really bringin’ the mood down. Either way, it’s just not fitting.
Oh and one more thing; Bob has a gun.
And there’s nothing you can do about it. See, right now, a new law is on the table that would allow Bob to carry a concealed weapon. Not because he is a Federal Agent, or a Police Officer, or anyone who has been formally trained to use a weapon, but because he is, well, Bob, and he thought guns were cool. Now you have an individual, in your home, that is not in the right mind to carry a gun. He’s arguing, or he’s drunk, or he’s in a horrible state of mind to make any decision.
So make sure the law does not get put into place. Use your voice to make sure your campus is still a safe environment for you to attend school. I don’t know about you, but when I go to school I understand that it’s not my business what other people are doing with their free time, but I don’t my local drunk or high population (there’s one at every school) to have free access to guns.
Here at TheGoodLifeOnCampus we don’t want to tell you what to do. By all means, do your own research and make your own decisions. But our sister site, SecureOnCampus, has this statement:
SecureOnCampus,com wholeheartedly supports GunsFreeKids.org in their efforts to help keep guns of our college campuses. The legislation under consideration, that will force states to allow guns on campus will make college campuses less safe. While it is true that there have been isolated incidents of campus shootings, adding guns throughout campuses across america will dramatically increase the danger, not lessen it. College students drink - often. Some, experiment with drugs. Others are overwhelmed by the stress of what’s required of them - so much so that suicide rates are increasing. Adding guns to the mix on campus is a disaster waiting to happen. Campuses need to be a haven for students to study, explore new ideas, meet new people, plan careers. Better campus security measures are the answer to prevent future Virginia Tech incidents, not arming the students and faculty. Please contact your Senators today and make your voice heard. Here is an excellent video outlining the case against guns on campus. You can read more about the legislation here.
Personally, I get the idea of feeling safer while carrying a gun as a form of self defense. I’m from a small town in Montana, so trust me, I know how to use a number of guns. My point is this, while I trust myself to have one, I don’t trust Bob, and I never want to have to face the option of shooting Bob to protect myself. I’ll gladly leave mine at home if it means Bob comes to the party empty handed as well.
What do you all think? Did you click on the link or did you choose not to?